Owning a 4WD opens you up to a whole world of adventures, but one of the realities, like any car, is the regular maintenance. Upkeep is important, especially when you head off the beaten path. Thankfully there are some small jobs you can do at home which we will tell you about below. For the bigger repairs and modifications, as well as regular servicing and roadworthy maintenance, you should always trust professionals like Robson Brothers 4WD centre to make sure nothing goes wrong.
What you can do at home
Some small jobs are easy to do at home. They are mostly checking the safety equipment and making sure everything looks good, but even the little jobs can make a huge difference in the outback. Here are the things you can keep an eye on between trips:
- Checking the tyre pressure – don’t forget the spares!
- Check oil level and coolant level- top up as necessary.
- Stocking safety equipment and making sure your fire extinguisher and first aid kits are up to date
- Checking wheel bearings – the easiest way to do this is to drive the car and listen for any noises coming from the wheels
- Making sure bull bars and roof racks are on tight and free from rust free
Anything that requires you to change out parts, get under the car, or replace wiring should be carried out by professionals. Not only are these jobs very dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing, they also cost a lot more financially when things go wrong.
The most common horror stories we hear from Perth’s 4WD community are DIY electrics going awry, and botched engine work causing a huge headache. Here are some things you should always get a licensed service centre to look at:
- Transmission repair and replacement
- Brake rotors and pads
- Auto electrics, even the small jobs
- Airbag replacement
- Windshield replacement
- Engine repairs and changing hoses
- Steering and suspension problems
Even if you think you understand the job, you should have a professional take care of it – things like installing CB radios or installing suspension might seem easy to do but when something goes wrong on the job you could be up for a whole lot more money, maybe even a new vehicle.
You don’t want to risk an expensive mistake, but more than that, the professional touch means when the jobs done, it’s done right.
There are a few things you can do at home to save a few bucks and keep your 4WD on – or off – road and in good condition for longer. We are here to help with everything else. Remember advice costs you nothing, so if you are looking to do some modifications or repairs on your machine give Robson Brothers 4WD a call.